Finding Funding: Financial Resources That Really Help

Your child’s health and the changes your family is experiencing are your primary concerns during this time. However, another big concern is how to pay for all of the necessary medical care. The following information can help you get started on the right financial foot.

Pennsylvania Medicaid Program is your Financial Safety Net

Being concerned about your child’s health is stressful, and worrying about how to pay for all of the in-home nursing care can be overwhelming. Some commercial insurance plans, such as the coverage you receive from your employer, may pay for pediatric shift nursing care, but it may be limited. Fortunately, Pennsylvanians have a safety net: The state’s Medicaid program, known as Medical Assistance, pays for pediatric shift nursing care, regardless of the parents’ income or assets. You should apply for Medicaid as soon as possible to ensure there is no coverage gap if your own insurance does not cover this care or has a benefit limit. Most hospital social workers can help you with the application for Medical Assistance. You can also apply at your local County Assistance office or online at

How to Choose an Agency: HealthChoices

Medicaid shift nursing services are coordinated by health plans or managed care organizations (MCOs), under the state’s HealthChoices program. Once your child is enrolled, you must select an MCO that serves your area. Each MCO has a network of agencies to choose from and will help you arrange nursing services at home. Your MCO representative will be the primary contact for all of your child’s health care needs, including doctor’s appointments, medical equipment and specialty care.

Hitting a Roadblock?

Get help from the Pennsylvania Health Law Project, a nonprofit that offers free legal advice and help to families who need pediatric shift
nursing services. Call the helpline at 1-800-274-3258.

Other Financial Resources:

  • Department of Education’s Early Intervention Program. Contact the CONNECT Helpline at 1-800-692-7288
  • Your school district, once your child reaches school age
  • Nonprofit, disease-specific foundations or associations, such as the Muscular Dystrophy Association, United Cerebral Palsy and The Arc of Pennsylvania

Quick Tip: Check Your Mail

When applying for Medicaid coverage AND when receiving Medicaid-funded services, keep an eye out for mailings from the Department of Human Services that require your action to continue your child’s coverage. These mailings might have this logo on them.